Old December 21st 03, 07:02 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Default Private members bill on cycle helmet compulsion.

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 18:32:31 -0000, "Paul - xxx"
wrote:

But if kids can already get away with all manner of much more serious crimes
then I fear that any legislation would be unworkable in practice.

I reckon it would be unworkable because 90% of child cyclists' head
injury accidents happen off road. Unless the bill covers riding on
private land (which would make it one of the most intrusive pieces of
legislation on the books - after all, we're not required to wear
protective equipment when doing DIY) it can't even begin to scratch
the surface.

But I reckon it's stil worth doing what we can to 'block' the bill, as it
would be a 'toe in the door' to allow further legislation through ..

Worse, it would give the insurance companies something tangible to use
in their attempts to claim contributory negligence when a cager kills
or injures one of us and we're not wearing a plastic hat. Even if we
are, they may assert that the "need" for a plastic hat implies that we
are aware that cycling is uniquely dangerous and therefore must bear
some responsibility. It would set a dangerous precedent. Luckily it
is almost certain to fail.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk