Old February 5th 04, 10:28 PM
Peter

Default Driving standards

"Tom" wrote in message ...
Hello all,

As a recent emigrant to the fair city of Worcester, and as a great
believer of giving credit where it is due, I would like to applaud the high
standards of driving and courtesy shown to me when riding my bicycle around
Worcester.

Courtesy shown to cyclists :-o That's the first I've heard of it!

Having lived in a variety of places in England, from London to Manchester
(and several points in between) I have seen standards slipping year by year
and the common courtesy that used to be shown to other road users had all
but disappeared. Happily in Worcester this is not the case.

So, to every driver who waits for me to pass a junction, to every driver
who passes me with a clear three feet to spare and to every driver who waits
those extra two seconds before pulling back in after passing me, a hearty
pat on the back and a heartfelt thank you to you all. Your high standards of
driving excellence have not gone unnoticed.

And isn't it nice to be able to say something good about motorists for a
change?

Tom

I find that the cylists are usually the ones which are aggressive and
dangerous. I saw one almost go up the kerb today because he was tail
gating on a roundabout, only at slow speed, but it was still too
close. I had one undertake me (in the wrong lane) at lights and I had
to stay back for a while so that we didn't meet at the exit of the box
junction. You wouldn't see a car undertaking and forcing their way in
at lights (not normally anyway).

What are the laws with bikes (push bikes and motor bikes) undertake,
cutting in etc? Surely in rush hour etc they should be driving in the
middle of their lane with a sufficient gap behind and infront? I've
seen a lot overtaking on the wrong side of the road with nowhere to
pull in!