Old July 25th 05, 09:20 PM
merryfreakinxmas

Default Severe brake squeal/chatter: Tektro Onyx brakes w/ Kool-Stop Salmon pads

"Reid Priedhorsky" wrote in message
news
Dear group,

I'm having trouble with brake noise. The brakes in question are Tektro
Onyx. Originally, on the factory pads, I had no brake noise whatsoever. I
changed to Kool-Stop Salmon pads (with off-center stud), which squealed
horribly and displayed chatter on hard braking as well.

Wear didn't seem to make any change. After a few hundred miles, I added
toe-in; rather severe toe-in was required to quiet them (though they still
gave slight noise just as rotation ceased).

Now, however, 600-800 miles later, the noise is back with a vengance.

The brakes are pretty loose; the arms have significant wiggle. Is this
likely to be the problem? Would better brakes improve the situation? What
about switching to sidepull caliper brakes?

Thanks for any help,

Reid

I had the same problem with koolstop on the back of a recumbent. They work
fine on the front. I was using sram 7.0 v-brake style. ANY pressure caused
screaming from the rear brake. I tried toe in to the extend that the brake
were very mushy. Cleaning the pads didn't help, a booster didn't help,
sanding rims didn't help. I even filed down one of the bosses to get rid of
brake arm wiggle.

What helped was switching the pads to ones made by trace / lambert. The
number of the package is 21-1526-0 Also they are the replaceable cartridge
type.

The complete saga can be read at google "rear brake screaming on tailwind"
on the recumbent group.