Old November 20th 13, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default Danger Danger!

"Graham" wrote:
"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:47:50 PM UTC-5, Graham wrote:
I just received this in a news letter from the UK CTC of which I am a member:

"My colleagues and I are absolutely devastated with the shocking rate at
which cyclists are dying on Londons roads. Six cyclists have died over
the last two weeks, all of them in collisions with large vehicles, three
of which were lorries. During this period, three pedestrians were also
killed in collisions with lorries in London."

From what I can tell, a typical year in London has about 75 pedestrians
killed, but fewer than 20 cyclists.
See
http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...must-get-angry

"Less well known is that, mile for mile, it's more dangerous to be a
pedestrian than it is to be a cyclist..." Yet how many know that? How
many are being scared away from riding by the "Danger! Danger!" cries?

All I did was give you the latest *facts* from a respected cycling
organisation. Things are clearly getting worse and the recent ratio was 2
to 1 against cyclists. I accept this is a snap shot of the data which
could be an aberation but from what I am seeing here in the UK as the
level of cycling is going up - we have over doubled our club membership
in the past year - the death rate is also rising. I cannot see why you
want to keep trotting out the above mantra rather than getting behind the
people who are trying to do something about it.

Well said.
--
duane