Old November 20th 13, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Danger Danger!

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 5:24:08 AM UTC-5, Graham wrote:
"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message ...

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:51:19 PM UTC-5, Graham wrote:

"Frank Krygowski" wrote:

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:47:50 PM UTC-5, Graham wrote:

"Less well known is that, mile for mile, it's more dangerous to be a pedestrian than it is to be a cyclist..." Yet how many know that? How many are being scared away from riding by the "Danger! Danger!" cries?

The "Danger Danger!" title was tongue in cheek but is does have a serious side.

Precisely. Anyone familiar with the probabilities of rare events shouldn't be surprised by an occasional cluster. This seems much like the Summer of the Shark flap of some years ago - the epidemic that wasn't.

[snip]

Do you mean the rate per year, the rate per mile cycled, or the rate per cyclist? Those are greatly different things. And yet, as the article I linked demonstrated, cycling in London is significantly safer than pedestrian travel. Cycling has far fewer fatalities per year, and significantly fewer fatalities per mile traveled.

Take all those statements above and compare them to the official report by the UK government paying partucular attention to charts 5 and 7.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...cgb2012-01.pdf

Of course, you're now changing focus. Your original post, plus my responses, plus the article from which I quoted, plus most of the "Danger! Danger!" news coverage has focused on cycling deaths within the city of London. The paper you linked was, instead, data for all of Great Britain. It's still true that cycling in London causes fewer deaths (in total, and per mile traveled) than walking in London, from what I can see.

I am a keen cyclist and do all I can to promote cycling my only point in engaging is that you keep having a go at people citing "data" that is not in line with our own experience or what is published by what we take to be reliable sources.

I don't know what your "experience" is regarding cycling deaths, beyond the obvious: that it hasn't happened to you. Do you have some "reliable source" which shows more cycling deaths than pedestrian deaths in London?

And I'm not saying that things can't be improved. But we do seem to disagree on the most effective method for improvement.

- Frank Krygowski