Old November 21st 13, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Glasses and Rain

On Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:23:54 AM UTC-5, Jay Beattie wrote:

I need a new pair of glasses, and I've been thinking about the anti-glare coating, but it's one of those expensive add-ons that I've often skipped in the past. I'll bite the bullet this time. If I get fogging problems, I use one of the many anti-fog preparations in my arsenal of ski equipment. I've never tried RainX though.

FWIW, I got an anti-reflective coating on my most recent pair of glasses. I haven't noticed any difference in the rain. I just tested them under a spray faucet, and there's definitely no "beading" of the water. Maybe different brands of anti-reflection behave differently?

The stuff has actually been a bit of an irritation for me. The difference I notice most is that the glasses seem much more difficult to keep clean. In particular, just wiping with a dry tissue (the way I've done it for decades) is no longer sufficient. I _must_ use the little glass cleaning spritzer, or get out the Dawn detergent.

Frank, it's dry all the rest of the week, but it's cold -- not Mid West cold, but cold for us PNWers. This is kind of bad news because it means no snow in the mountains.

We've got 45 degrees and light rain. Looks like Portland out my window. Except fewer visible tattoos.

- Frank Krygowski