Old January 1st 20, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Yikes! Di2

On Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 9:46:36 PM UTC-8, Chalo wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:

Frank, How many people do you suppose there are left in the world
that use downtube shifters?

I see more bikes with downtube shifters at the shop than I do of all 11-speed bikes combined. These bikes are being used, which is why they come in for service.

I don't like using downtube shifters, which stay at about the same height off the ground no matter how tall the bike. (So for my bikes, they're way the hell down there somewhere.) But they are easily the most mechanically elegant shifters around, and the easiest to deal with from a service standpoint.

I prefer index thumbshifters with a friction option to any other shifters I've tried. I wish they were still made.

No insult intended but 11 speeds are new and since ALL of the upper end groups are now 11 speed and it is growing more and more difficult to get 10 speed or less parts you're not going to be seen fewer 11 speed bikes anytime soon.

What kind of shop employs you that has a sizeable clientele of downtube shifters?