Old August 10th 15, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default The Bottom Bracket Question

On 10/08/15 07:09, mark cleary wrote:
I know this has been hashed a zillion times but this group has
personalities so I ask. All the press-fit stuff to mean is basically
garbage for stability and ease of maintenance, much less the creaks. Are
BSA threaded BB done and over with and do I just need to get use to,
figuring out how to work on and be comfortable with press fit frames? I
just see this as a way to cheapen the process. To just give a bit of
background I repair and play guitars. I myself work and play some of the
most classic jazz guitars around and I see the newer makers of jazz
guitars cutting corners to make things easier. Just quite using inlay,
layers of binding, and certain designs because frankly.............it
makes it easier to build. Oh sure you drop and few ounces of weight but
I made up for it by simply taking less stuff on the bike.

Stability? Of what? Headset bearing cups have been press fit to the
head tube for donkeys years. They seem stable enough to me.

Ease of maintenance? Well, yes you might need a tool to remove and
install the pressed in bits.

Creaks? Nothing press fitted on my bike creaks.

All these things depend greatly on the particular design, and not the
fact that something is "press fit".

--
JS