Old February 2nd 05, 08:01 PM
Zach

BentJay wrote:
Zach,

I enjoyed your pictures. Thanks for posting in our "polluted"
newsgroup. Your tacit support makes me want to keep reading in spite
of the "noise."
I have two questions, if you don't mind. Do you think the benefits

of
the Rotor cranks outweighs the mechanical complexity and commensurate
possiblity of a breakdown far from home? Also: the Louis G helmet

that
Bill was wearing has interested me but, is the lack of huge vents an
overwhelming fault?

Thanks for your good work in the bent world, Zach!

Jay:

The western part of Marin County (to the north of San Francisco) is one
of my favourite areas to ride in. I actually originally wrote that
report for the trikes list but I thought I would post it here as well
to bring some on topic content for a change.

Regarding Rotor Cranks, I wouldn't sell them and have them on two of my
recumbents if I didn't think the disadvantages outweighed the
advantages. They are one of the few cycling products which actually
live up to the marketing hype. I climb at least as fast with them as on
the same bike with much lighter conventional cranks and find I can go
harder before leg fatigue and knee pain sets in. They are particularly
useful on long, hilly rides for this reason. I've always spun in fairly
low gears and still do keep my cadence up with the Rotors but find I
can push harder if I have to with them and don't use the inner
chainring as much. Also starting from a stop is smoother and can be
done in a higher gear. Rotor Cranks are very reliable. I haven't heard
of any failures and the construction is quite rugged, perhaps one
reason they have such a weight penalty. I feel more confident about
taking a Rotor Crank on a long ride out into the middle of nowhere than
something that has a bunch of small gears inside that isn't made by
Rohloff such as a SRAM Dual Drive hub.

I don't have any experience with the Louis G time trial helmet Bill was
wearing but I know he wears it on many rides, particularly if it is
cooler and he loaned it to our friend Ron Bobb for use on his 24-hour
record attempt last summer.

Zach