Old November 4th 12, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

Default THE CASE FOR A MANDATORY CYCLE HELMET LAW
(IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA)

Andre Jute wrote:

(

(IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA)

(

by Andre Jute

[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_helmet_laws

According to studies in Australia and New Zealand, there has not

been any reduction in cyclists' deaths that can be attributed to

the introduction of mandatory wearing of helmets. Check the graphs,

there is a gradual reduction in deaths, but with not correlated

with helmet wear.

I can't find a link at the moment, but my son (who must wear a

helmet in Sydney) has found evidence that helmets can even cause

injuries to the neck in falls, where the helmet edge hits the

ground.

I am fortunate in not having to wear a helmet here in Denmark.

I have done so in winter when there is ice on the roads, in case

a car loses control and hits me, but this has never happened,

and this winter I will not wear one - and have a warmer head.

The times when I have slid on ice, I have never hit my head, and

the only injury has been to my (expensive) jacket from sliding

along the road.

--

Dieter Britz

Hello, Dieter: That's why the headline to my post is
THE CASE FOR A MANDATORY CYCLE HELMET LAW
(IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA)

The numbers make an American case. The situation in Europe is different.
Probably in Australia and New Zealand too. But there is no doubt in my
mind that the New York study directs the unbiased analyst towards the
conclusion that a compulsory helmet law in the States will save lives.

Andre Jute

For a guy that lives in Ireland, you've got a lot of compassion to spend
all this time and effort trying to save the lives of people an ocean away.

Or are you just stirring the pot?