Old October 16th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kyle Legate

Default Your first race next season

LawBoy01 wrote:
On Oct 16, 2:06 pm, Ted van de Weteringe
wrote:
I'm getting onto the track in a few weeks for the first time in my life.
I figured that's where I have got the best shot at a Rainbow Jersey.

We've got a velodrome (the "Superdrome") here in Frisco, and I plan on
riding the track this offseason and into the winter (my team paid for
a night of private training during the offseason). But I gotta heal
my back. I pushed it hard, perhaps too hard, in my effort to lose
weight, and got a bulging disk and a sciatic nerve hooked to my L5/S1
joint. Six more weeks of light effort (pretty much no 20+ MPH
training rides. I can do distance and time, but no big ringing it or
pushing hard. So I put a 42 on my road bike, and will stick to 48x16
and above the stayers line on the track.

You'd be better off not riding at all for a while and rehabilitating
your back. Google for McKenzie exercises and get stretching, or there
may be no riding for you next year.