Old July 12th 03, 03:56 AM
Peter Signorini

Default Bicycle Registration

"Theo Bekkers" wrote in message
"Andre S." wrote

they also think its a simple matter to attach standardised number

plates to every bicycle!
none of which have been designed for such.

Err, what crap is that? The bicycle I was riding in WA in the 1950's
had a standardised numberplate, as did everybody else's. Yes, we had
registration, it cost 2/6 ($0.25) per annum. Attaching the numberplate
was not a problem.

About 25 years ago I paid an organisation called the Bicycle Register Co. to
provide 'registration' of my bike (really just keeping their own record)
with insurance coverage against theft. They gave me a numbered disc a bit
bigger than a 50c piece, simple to attach with one bolt to a rack eyelet or
brake mount. Trouble was of course, any fool with a spanner can nick it too.
I didn't perservere with the insurance for long.

We're not in the 50s. These days the security of our bikes is a more serious
issue. We have enough trouble ensuring the bike, or it's pedals, saddle,
wheels...etc. don't get stolen. How would VicRoads deal with me when I tell
them my rego plate was stolen?

Cheers
Peter