Old May 23rd 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling

Default I crash into religion

Sorni wrote:

Don't recall ever saying that, but yes I think cyclists /in general/ are
safer wearing helmets; and that I, in particular, am because of the type of
riding I do. Just by coincidence, the 50 or 60 other cyclists I know or
have known personally all seem to think the same, as they all wear lids,
too. And then, of course, there are the literally thousands I've seen on
trails and roads, and the vast majority apparently agree, as well. It's
quite unusual to see a "real cyclist" around here riding lidless. Sorry.

One million lemmings can't be wrong eh? Many professional sports people
have curious rituals that they have to perform to give them luck. They
are convinced they work but I doubt any of us would give them much credence.

What you say about cyclists in the US is very true and I have found very
strongly held views to be very common there. I believe 38% of US
cyclists wear a helmet compared with 22% in the UK yet the UK head
injury rate per bn km is half that of the US despite the narrower roads,
more aggressive driving and much higher traffic density and speed in the
UK. In the Netherlands where its only 0.1%, head injury rates are a
further factor of three lower.

Meanwhile in your own backyard of San Diego where there is an MHL for
under 18's, Ji et al noted "Despite the increase of helmet use, we were
not able to show significant reduction of serious head injury rates over
the study period."

I've never* claimed a helmet saved anyone's life (including my own). Sorry.

*It's possible I /may/ have said or thought that many years ago, but reading
more about the issue has pretty much convinced me that it's highly unlikely
(although not impossible in far-fetched scenarios)...

So you disagree with Todd's view that they twice saved his life?

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci