Old April 28th 09, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Rohloff makes the case for Cyber Nexus

On Apr 28, 12:37*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Andre Jute:

No human can change gears as efficiently as Shimano's Cyber Nexus.

It might be a personality thing. *

Well, no, it's a pretty obvious conclusion. The human will always be
seconds slower on each gearchange than electronics can be.

I tried somebody's automatic-shifting bike once and it drove me
nuts. * OTOH, the guy whose bike it was loved it.

Now that's a personality thing. He should have lent it to you for a
week so you could get used to it.

Sometimes I want high RPMs, other times I want low RPMS (as in
giving my butt a break going up hill)... regardless of ground
speed.

That's just what you're used to on derailleur bikes. You need more
than a short ride to get used to the auto box -- certainly I did, even
coming to it from the same type of Shimano box, only manual.

But, perhaps surprisingly after disagreeing with each of your
subsidiary points, I agree with your overall point. Shimano set up the
Cyber Nexus controls so that the "effort level control" is under the
bottom tube, facing down to the road, way out of reach. They want you
to set it once and forget it.

So, if you can't get used to a steady cadence with the gearbox
adapting, the Shimano implementation of full auto, as in the Cyber
Nexus, is not for you. I also corresponded with a guy who had the
derailleur type Shimano full auto on a Koga-Miyata, and he thought the
effort control should be under his thumb. (Too complicated for most
riders, I thought at the time, agreeing with Shimano.)

An alternative is CVT which, with your cadence, puts effort control
right under your thumb, as in the Fallbrook NuVinci CVT. Chalo several
times mentioned the high weight of the NuVinci hub but I don't see the
problem; it is clearly a commuter/daytourer's hub, so the weight
doesn't matter all that much.

Can't imagine racers of any kind looking at the hefty NuVinci though.

Andre Jute
You can ride only one bike at a time