Old April 10th 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
DanKMTB

Default Beware Passing the Parked Car, Bicycle Reminder.

On Apr 10, 12:16*pm, Erness Wild wrote:
I was "lucky?". Going for a ride on my old 10 speed had me more
interested in how it was working mechanically than remembering to
look for occupied parked cars. Sure enough as I came along side a
parked car the driver decided to begin a u-turn. We missed each other.
I last had that close call on a motorcyle over ten years ago. Each one
brings a sudden wake up call. Most of the street where I ride don't
have parked cars, which probably makes for being less prepared for it.

--
A website is a place, where, when you go there, it does everything
possible to distract you, from finding the information you came there

I had a near hit myself yesterday. I'm generally really good about
staying out of the door zone, but this was a wierd situation. A big
truck that's always parked at the local sub shop on RT-1 by the
rotary, over the curb on the grass, opened the door. I was pretty
close to the curb, since I was coming out of a rotary into a 50MPH
zone. No harm, no foul, but it was a reminder to stay away from ALL
the doors, not just the cars parked on the side of the street. Never
gave this trucks location any thought in the past, something about it
being over a curb, elevated and what looked to be far enough from the
road had me flying past it for years now.