Old April 10th 09, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Beware Passing the Parked Car, Bicycle Reminder.

On Apr 10, 1:12*pm, "
wrote:
On Apr 10, 2:02*pm, Erness Wild wrote:

DanKMTB wrote:
I had a near hit myself yesterday. *I'm generally really good about
staying out of the door zone, but this was a wierd situation. *A big
truck that's always parked at the local sub shop on RT-1 by the
rotary, over the curb on the grass, opened the door. *I was pretty
close to the curb, since I was coming out of a rotary into a 50MPH
zone. *No harm, no foul, but it was a reminder to stay away from ALL
the doors, not just the cars parked on the side of the street. *Never
gave this trucks location any thought in the past, something about it
being over a curb, elevated and what looked to be far enough from the
road had me flying past it for years now.

A u-turn miss and a door miss. Interesting on the door obstacle. Now
if cars that had to drive on the right side of the road had right hand
drive there would be less incidents. Like-a-wise if left hand drive
cars drove on the left side of the street, drivers would always be
getting out on the curb side, which seems safer all around.

--
A website is a place, where, when you go there, it does everything
possible to distract you, from finding the information you came there

Left hand drive on left driving roads? *And right hand drive on right
driving roads? *Likely more head on collisions due to drivers not
being able to judge where the oncoming vehicle is on the road. *Or
judge where your own wheels are traveling relative to the yellow line.

Not that I agree with the left/left business (I don't) but any cyclist
who rides assuming drivers have any concept of where they are in the
lane, how big their vehicle is or where it stops and starts in the
physical world is headed for grief. My very unscientific findings: The
Worst: Males in big manly SUVs or trucks, and women in Subarus. Of
course, this paints unfairly, with a very broad brush, but I'm alive.
I have had my shoulder brushed by a side view mirror while coming down
Squaw Pass into Idaho Springs. Close enough, thank you.

tf