Old January 13th 04, 04:22 PM
M Brundage

Default Rock n Roll Lubes

I'm working on a bottle of Ice Wax right now and like the way it
sheds water and doesn't attract dirt. Oil based lubes shed water well
enough but act like a magnet for grit. Does Extra Dry have an
advantage over Ice Wax ?

I haven't tried Ice Wax. I'm not sold on wax based lubes for mtbing based
on my experience with them. My drivetrain always sounded like a cage full
of finches by the end of ride. They may be better now but I've had
excellent results with the Extra Dry oil based lube and see no reason to

try
something else. A friend of mine uses Ice Wax and has to apply it before
every ride. I clean the chain (run it through a rag) and apply a drop of
Extra Dry to each roller and wipe off the excess every week or so. I live
on the east coast and ride in wet conditions frequently.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I destroyed a chain when on vacation in Michigan last summer.
The soil on the trails I was riding was fine sand so I'm trying to find
something to use there this year that will shed the sand. If there is such
an animal. By the end of our 3 week vacation there you could feel the sand
in the rollers when you held the chain in your hands and turned each link. A
small price to pay for the enjoyment of riding in those piney hills I guess.

I'll give Extra Dry a try when the Wax is gone.

--
MBrundage@ease