Old January 14th 17, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

Default Need advice on bottom bracket repair

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/9/2017 4:26 PM, wrote:
On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 2:15:41 PM UTC-8, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 10:43:33 -0800 (PST),
wrote:
On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 10:01:31 AM UTC-8, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Sun, 08 Jan 2017 11:08:20 -0600,
AMuzi wrote:
On 1/7/2017 8:33 PM, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom
bracket in serious need of overhaul [both cups stuck]

Delco 10.4020 penetrant is the best, PC Blaster is good.
Warming with a heat gun can help.

If no other path, flats can be cut on the cup with a disc
grinder to allow a wrench instead of those brittle
expensive pins.

p.s. Try the right side cup too. If that moves, you can
easily deal with the left one after disasssembly.

Thanks for the added tips. Off to get penetrating oil and new
pins now. Grinding on it is beyond my abilities, so if I'm not
able to get things off with the addition of penetrating oil and
time, I'll be hauling it off to my LBS.

As a last resort, once I simply pulled out the bottom bracket
via the fixed side and then spend half a day cutting the
adjustable cup with a hacksaw blade up to but not touching the
threads. This allowed the cup to collapse partially when the pin
spanner was applied and come loose.

By the way - you ARE turning the adjustable cup off clockwise
aren't you?

No, counterclockwise--same direction the lockring came off, and
the direction that every website I looked at called for. As I
understand it, the fixed cup may be threaded the other direction.

Just to clarify (I have spent a lot of time with Angel Rodriguez and
in his shop; your BB is BSC threaded) the chain side (right side
when riding) cup is reverse thread. The non-drive side (clean side,
adjustable side, left side) unscrews like a jar lid.

Okay, after nearly a week of daily Blaster drips, I got replacement
pins last night. Today I was able to get the adjustable cup out, a
bit of back and forth helped.

Now I'm tackling the fixed cup, using the large bolts and wrenches as
described by Sheldon. So far I haven't been able to get it to budge,
and before I spend too much time moosing on it I want to double
confirm it is reverse threaded. In other words, I should be turning
from the outside of the shell and not from the inside.

Thanks again to all for the great tips!

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA