Old August 28th 15, 12:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
john B.

Default Danger! Danger!

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 23:41:34 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I stopped at a garage sale on the way to the tomato festival, and I
filled up my cooler at the festival, so when I stopped at Aldi's on
the way home, I had to take some back-up bungees out of storage to get
all my groceries attached.

After everything was battened down, I noticed a tag fluttering from
one of the new bungees and ripped it off.

It reads:

---------------------

Stretch cord carefully. Uncontrolled release can cause severe injury
to unprotected body parts, particularly eyes.

Maximum stretch-length 50% of unstretched cord. Overstretching cord
can cause hook failure, resulting in sudden, uncontrolled release.
Wear safety glasses when attaching and releasing.

---------------------

Man, I don't even *own* a pair of safety glasses! What a daredevil
I've been all these years.

Note that it never mentioned the danger in failing to attach all
hooks. A dangling bungee can catch in your spokes, which will wreck
the bungee, wreck the wheel, or send you over the handlebars.

Well, there you go. (It must be Hate a Safety Man Week) a good friend
in the petroleum drilling business just sent me a cost study on cost
per foot to drill an oil well and his chart shows an almost vertical
line from the time HSE, he calls it, got to be the new Big Thing.

Just as general information it cost $ 13.22 a foot in 1960 to drill an
oil well, in 1995 it cost $78.09, in 2000, $126.96, in 2005 it was
314.36 and in 2007 $717.13. Today? God only knows.

--
cheers,

John B.