Old January 26th 18, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default 700c 25mm tires on Weinmann ZAC19 rims ok?

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 07:40:17 -0800, Joerg

On 2018-01-24 17:26, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 09:33:13 -0800, Joerg

On 2018-01-22 14:55, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, January 22, 2018 at 2:25:46 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 21/01/18 22:18, Gregory Sutter wrote:

You might look for wheels with double-butted spokes; they will
be stronger and you'll break fewer spokes!

Problem is, I can't exceed 130mm between the dropouts for the wheel
and even that's a stretch (the frame is 126mm). This limits the
selection of ready-to-go wheels.

I does? The non-disc road standard is still 130mm. There are tons of
wheels out there for 130mm spaced frames,

I meant with 12g SS spokes.

There's effectively no such thing as 12 gauge spokes; even
Wheelsmith's "downhill" spokes are 13-14-13g.

Take your nice 600 hub, use name-brand 14-15-14g spokes, select an
asymmetric rim, have a person who builds wheels all the time make it
up for you, and you'll have a fine quality rear wheel that should
last you a long time.

The hub is old and the surfaces where the bearing balls roll on in there
are equally old. I don't think sinking much effort into that is worth
it. I've got time and I am pretty sure I can find a read wheel that fits
the bill most of the way.

Yes, I've done that. Used a ****ty old hub and some second hand
spokes.... ended up with a pretty lousy wheel too.

If you are going to build a wheel for actual use, i.e., not hanging on
a gate, why not spend the money and get quality components. A quick
look seems to show that a hub and spokes cost in the region of $100
and a rim (700C) is cheap. Alex is selling welded, grommeted, offset,
MTB rims quite cheaply these days.

If I can't find a complete wheel I'll have to go that route.

I can't comment on MTB wheels but two years, or so, ago I bought a set
of the cheapest Shimano road wheels to temporarily substitute for a
pair of light weight (higher priced) wheels that had developed the
"wobbles".

I re-spoked the light weight wheels and they are still sitting in the
shop as the "cheap" Shimano wheels are still going strong.

(It is a hell of a life when even the "cheap crap" doesn't fail :-)

Or maybe a solid Mag wheel for less then $100
https://tinyurl.com/yan7qvuo

I'd break those in a jiffy.

--
Cheers,