Old July 27th 05, 01:08 PM
Edward Dolan

"Bruce Davis" wrote in message
[...]
The bottom line is that I love my recumbent, have no buyer's remorse, and
will continue to ride it; but I'm just curious about whether anyone out
there has any suggestions or comments that will put my mind at ease, so
that I can just enjoy my rides without constantly worrying that I'm going
to end up in the hospital again.

[...]

--Bruce Davis

Bruce, you have had very bad luck riding your Tour Easy. I have also got
that bike (a home made version) and the light front end can and will cause
problems if you aren't attentive to road surface conditions.

I like to ride my bikes with my head in the clouds, but I only do that when
going slow and I am sure of the road surface. When I speed up I have to get
focused on any kind of a recumbent. In my opinion, recumbents are more
unstable than uprights and they handle very differently. I admire those who
can go fast on recumbents, but I am never comfortable going fast on a
recumbent.

The worst spill I have ever had was on a recumbent (RANS V2). I was going
about 30 mph and got my front wheel caught in a longitudinal crack in the
road. I went down hard in a split second. I don't believe I would have had
that particular accident on an upright, but still I know it can happen
because I have seen uprights also go down under the same condition. Watch
out for those longitudinal cracks in the road!

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota