Old July 28th 05, 08:02 AM
Edward Dolan

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 07:08:11 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:
excellent post snipped

The worst spill I have ever had was on a recumbent (RANS V2). I was going
about 30 mph and got my front wheel caught in a longitudinal crack in the
road. I went down hard in a split second. I don't believe I would have had
that particular accident on an upright, but still I know it can happen
because I have seen uprights also go down under the same condition. Watch
out for those longitudinal cracks in the road!

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Hi Ed.

When you had that spill were you injured? I certainly am acquinted
with how quickly the Tour Easy can flip its rider sideways.

Indiana Mike

The RANS V2 is a long wheel base much like the Tour Easy, except that it has
a much higher crank. The Mueller Fairing may have prevented me from seeing
the road crack as it lines up all wrong for good road viewing.

When you fall on a LWB you will generally go down sideways and land on your
hip and/or elbow. The seat edge took much of the force, but I also had a
bruised hip and wondered at first if I had broken anything. I went down with
the bike because it happened so fast I did not have time to think what to
do. If I had thought, I might have put my leg out to brake the fall and been
infinitely worse off as a result.

I do not like to have bike accidents and I will spend days after an accident
analyzing what went wrong. As a result of my RANS V2 accident, I resolved to
slow down and pay more attention to those longitudinal cracks in the road. I
may get rid of the fairing too as it prevents me from seeing the road right
ahead of me well.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota