Old June 26th 03, 10:30 AM
kingsley

Default Maxxis Hookworm 26" - When/Where?

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 05:28:25 +0000, hippy wrote:

Most "slicks" for mtb's are also skinny, but
I'm after something that is just as fat as a
DH tyre (say 2.3") but without all the
knobs!

We have IRC Metro-cross Duros on the tandem. But
there are a few flavours of these, we first tried the
700Cx38 (35?) on the singles. When Adam at Cheeky Monkey
suggested the 26"x2" version for the new tandem wheel
I was sold.

On the tandem these ride beautifully - high pressure
(85psi - high for a 'fatty' anyway), but bouncy enough
to smooth out the ride, or should I say 'glide'.

They are kevlar wound around the outside and are therefore
reputed to be more puncture-resistant. On a recent tour
out 'round Parkes we had a single puncture, whereas
other tyres fell heavy victim to 'Cat Head' throrns.
I even pulled one from my the rubber of the 700C tyre
where the tip of the thorn had been bent over and not
penetrated the tube.

I really like these tyres. They are very slick, and
run almost sliently on the road (no road drone). I like
to listen to the birds as I ride along, so this is important
to me.

They are of course, expensive.

-kt