Old February 14th 19, 03:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Front cracking noise

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 9:13:09 PM UTC-5, Radey Shouman wrote:
Sir Ridesalot writes:

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 7:28:00 PM UTC-5, Steve Weeks wrote:
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 3:49:50 PM UTC-6, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Well in fact, I will not need to try with another wheel. As I was riding
home, the noise kept increasing, and at some point, my front wheel
started to slow me with a drag similar to slightly pulling on the
brakes.

That's how my first dynohub failure presented itself. With the wheel
off the ground, it wouldn't even spin a full revolution because of
the friction in the bearings. If you look at the link I posted
before, you will see a step-by-step account of the repair of a
dynohub. It may be that the hub I repaired is similar enough to
yours that you can figure it out. The "Joule I" hub and the Shimano
hub may both be made by Sanyo, in which case some similarity is
likely. The Joule I hub has two sealed cartridge bearings; the
Shimano hub looks like it has one cartridge bearing on the output
side and a cup-and-cone bearing on the non-output side.
You will need soldering equipment, but I doubt there is any aluminum wire to deal with.
If you are careful, you may be able to expose the solder joint by
carefully prying the superficial parts off (see the link!). I
initially did not do this, and broke the output wire and had to
splice it (also described in the link).
Good luck!

Crikey! I sure wouldn't want a dynamo hub failure like that if I was
riding far from home. I think that's another reason for me to stick to
my external battery pack lights.

How often do you service wheel bearings when riding far from home? Do
you carry a set of cone wrenches with you?

--

I was commenting on the fact that the dynamo hub was getting extremely hard to turn whilst it was on a bicycle being ridden. The fact is that not many people would have the means to repair that tightening whilst on their ride.

Cheers