Old May 15th 04, 07:22 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Default Free Bikes Instead of School Bus (long)

When I was six, I was accompanied on my walk to school at least
sometimes. I know this because I can remember asking my mother a
question on one occasion. But I can equally clearly remember that I was
not met at the end of the school day - I was expected to walk home by
myself. Mind you, that was only about a mile.

Yup - I walked to & from school unaccompanied from a fairly young age. Life
isn't like that these days. Whether that's a good thing is entirely a different
matter. Back then there was, at least, safety in numbers as most kids walked to
school - now the kid who walks or cycles can stick out like a sore thumb -
especially in a rural area.

By the age of eight I was
travelling five miles across Edinburgh by public transport, and the
very idea of being accompanied would have revolted me - let alone the
bullying I'd have got in consequence!

Different now, kids are unlikely to be bullied because their parents take them
to school I would suggest, as in many a school it's the norm for kids to be
taken & met by parents. Kids get bullied for all sorts of reasons, but I doubt
that being taken to school by parents figures high on the list these days.

Around here, children as young as seven cycle by themselves more than
two miles to and from the village school; one child of six also cycles
but is accompanied.

When Nathan was that age, his school was in Norwich - 20+ miles away by car. I
wouldn't have let him walk or cycle that distance anyhow. Even a bit older -
there's no way, no how, I'd have allowed him to cycle the 11 mile round trip to
& from school unaccompanied along narrow country lanes with heavy HGV traffic
and cars with drivers who can think it's their own personal rally tracks. Now
he's older, and I'm certain I've instilled in him "road sense", I am happy to
allow him to cycle unaccompanied. And I still get parents thinking I'm nuts to
allow him to do so as a teenager...

Cheers, helen s

**$om $