Old August 21st 10, 02:47 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Cycling Copenhagen through American eyes

On Aug 20, 12:49 am, Day Brown wrote:
On 08/19/2010 10:58 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the

We shouldn't be tempted to make sweeping statements such as the fast
train is the solution and bicycle is not. You don't travel from Miami
to Orlando everyday.

Most trips in America are done to the market and possibly under a
radius of 5 miles, or could be done if we drop Walmart in favor of the
local store.

I find that a sweeping statement. You are not going to carry a week's
worth of groceries and supplies home on a bike.

That's what I can carry with any of my bikes. But you always have an
excuse to ride more often to the market if not as well prepared.

The solution is a combination of the above, and take into
consideration that we could be riding faster bikes to cover our sprawl
instead of the heavy European bike.

Americans are also a buncha fat slobs who wont ride a bike, much less do
so if its raining. They will ride a golf cart or electric car to the
corner store or local mall to bring home whatever, and would use it to
commute if it also rode the train so they can drive off the train and go
to work.

Yes, they have been bred that way by careful manipulation. That could
change though as they try riding a bike and shedding pounds.

It'd be much better for them to ride bikes more, but that's not upta us.
I'm outlining a project the fat *******s would actually get behind. The
vehicle carrier rail could get to the urban hub ten minutes or more
sooner, and to the lazy *******s that makes all the diff.

I've used my golfcart to haul firewood out of the woods; but properly
equipped for urban streets, it'd easy go 4-5 miles and back on flat
pavement at 25 mph.

Some of them are street legal here in Florida (Bombardier type), but
not advisable under conditions where the big fish eats the little
fish.