Old December 30th 15, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jakob Krieger

Default Shimano Nexus rear hub

- John B. / Tue, 15 Dec 2015 13:28:11 +0100

I'm beginning to see these geared hubs on some of the cheaper flat bar
road bikes here and am sort of wondering whether they might be just
the thing for riding in Bangkok. [...]

It seems to me that the chain would be similar to the old single speed
chains that lasted forever and no derailers to keep in tune and
sprockets and cogs to wear out.

True. The chain-side is single-speed tech.

I am thinking that a 5 or 7 speed hub would more then cover all city

I formerly (last century, when I was young) owned a bike with
Torpedo 3-speed hub. The ratio of this was +- 30 % ... about
quite like the 1st, 3rd, and 5th gear of a 5-speed chain shift.

The newer hub shifts have even more ratio.

The downside is that the smaller mechanics that fits into a hub
can't stand racing forces. But this won't be a problem when you
use it to travel the town.

Has anyone done this? Are rear cogs available in sufficient sizes to
be able to set up any initial gear ratio that one desires? Do the hubs
last? Any special loves/hates?

There are several sizes available to adjust the 'middle gear' ratio.

And no, I hat no trouble ever with my old Torpedo hub
except kids laughing at it. New hub shifts aren't worse,
the concept is quite solid.

I'd prefer a 5-gear, not a 9-gear, because every speed needs a
complete planet-drive gearset inside of the hub, and the more
you pack into it, the tinier the single pieces get.

For a city bike, nothing is wrong about hub shift.

jk

--
no sig