Old April 29th 19, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Belt drive

On 2019-04-29 04:56, Duane wrote:
John B. wrote:
On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 19:42:11 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 15:15:48 -0700, John B.
wrote:

Good Lord! You say that you are riding a bicycle, not on some sort of
odyssey where one needs to carry provisions. Just eat, than ride, than
eat when you get home again. I used to do 4 to 6 hour rides without
stopping for lunch. You obviously can't do this on tea and toast but a
good breakfast should see you through to lunch. Or at least it used to
back in the day when farmers actually worked all day :-)

I have to be fed every four hours. It was worse when I weighed a
hundred and twenty on a frame that now carries a hundred and sixty
pounds and a lot less muscle -- I had to keep a hard candy in my mouth
most of the time that I was riding, or I'd feel like a puppet with cut
strings when I got off the bike at home.

Riding 4-6 hours at any sort of pace with no nourishment is a recipe for
bonking for most people. ...

Exactly. A bonk is no fun especially if you need to be back by a certain
time and your body refuses to deliver the Watts required for that. BTDT
and to make matters worse the last 15mi were in the hills. Same for
riding 4-6h on a sunny 105F day with no more than a couple of water
bottles and no chance of replenishing anywhere.

... I’m too lazy to prepare dried fruits and stuff
so I take a cliff bar and and energy shots.

I carry a sandwich from home-baked bread prepared by my sweetheart.
Other riders often have to suppress a drool when they see that.

Never needed a Swiss Army knife with a can opener though.

The standard ones all have that, it is required for any army purpose.
It's shown he

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNGtJ5a42Pk

... Don’t carry
cans. Even when I used to tour I used dried meals that were pretty decent
but light weight.

It's just that the regular knives have it and opening a small
(lightweight) can of anchovies does add a nice gourmet touch to lunch
during a ride. I haven't yet carried white table linen but my wife and I
once did during a camping trip in a National Park and that turned some
heads :-)

Really? I ask as my wife (75 years, 5'4", ~65 kg.) eats two meals a
day and seems to get along pretty well. But she is a Buddhist and one
of the Buddhists beliefs is that gluttony is a sin :-)

Admirable. But not really relevant if she’s not cycling any distance.

Especially if cycling hard, a few hours at elevated heart rate. That
needs fuel no matter what.

Regarding gluttony most of us do sin though and, full confession, that
includes me. I could and should drop another 20lbs. That's in the works.
At older age it is a fine line. During a recent MTB ride where I ate
only one lunch sandwich instead of the two like in the olden days I
started feeling a bonk coming up during the last 5mi. Slowed down a bit,
got home, but almost had to throw up. So that was too close.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/