Old April 29th 19, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Belt drive

On 2019-04-25 16:23, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 18:00:49 -0000 (UTC), Roger Merriman
wrote:

[...]

Given a choice I’d love a belt drive bike for the commute
as I clock up
fairly respectable distances per day which does chew
though the drive
chain.

See:
https://momentummag.com/commuter-bik...-carbon-drive/

https://www.veercycle.com/
or perhaps even better see
https://www.cyclingabout.com/belt-dr...manufacturers/

I wouldn't want a belt drive. If that belt snaps it
generally does so without warning and then it can be a nasty
crash.

That's true but how different to the rider from a broken chain,
driveshaft, crank or pedal?

Chains usually do not snap without some serious lack of maintenance or
running them way past prime. Never heard of a driveshaft break except
once on a heavy vehicle (bus). Belts usually snap out of the blue.

As for cranks a friend of mine had an expensive Campagnolo crank break
and it was clearly a manufacturing defect but they refused to even do a
warranty exchange. He landed towards the middle of the road but luckily
no cars came along.

I've broken four or five Campy NR cranks, two or three Shimano
Ultegra cranks, an Ofmega track crank, an old Stronglight 93. I had
two CF cranks with pedal eyes that cracked and separated from the CF
layup (SRAM Red and FSA). I bent first generation Dura Ace/Look pedal
spindle, snapped a Ti ER platform pedal spindle, snapped a spindle on
a Look pedal. I broke chains, but usually because I had been sloppy
reinstalling a pin or because a shift side-loaded a quick link.
Conventional drive trains can and do break. I've scootered home or to
the nearest bike shop or hitch-hiked (broken too-light-for-touring
5sp chain in the middle of nowhere Washington) too many times. BTW,
none of those failures landed me on the road, even though all of the
crank failures were during out of the saddle efforts.

-- Jay Beattie.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/jayscranks.html

Yikes! And here people are saying that I am the buy breaking bike parts.
I never managed to break a crank yet I am what many cyclists probably
would consider a clyde and also often ride with cargo in hilly terrain.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/