Old December 18th 14, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B. Slocomb

Default AG: on controlling the lane

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 10:04:28 -0500, Duane
wrote:

On 12/16/2014 6:18 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 05:23:52 +0000, Phil W Lee
wrote:

Joy Beeson considered Sun, 14 Dec 2014
20:25:44 -0400 the perfect time to write:

There's a thread on alt.usage.english with the subject line: "is this
the silliest term of art ever?"

I've been tempted to mention "controlling the lane". You can't
control anything but your own body parts, and not always those, but if
you ask nicely, people nearly always give you what you need.

Or what they *think* you need; clear communication is the key to safe
riding.

If there is any clearer way to communicate "I'm using this lane, if
you want to go past or around me you'll have to use the next one over"
than to occupy the centre of the lane, please do tell.

The problem seems to be the theory that "if he sees me he'll slow
down". But what if he either doesn't want to slow down or cannot for
some reason. The downside risk seems far greater than any possible
benefit that might be gained by getting one's name in the obituary
column. Even the Times :-)

That's the thing. I think the OP was saying that she questioned the
word "Controlling" and I agreed.

I agree. While, hopefully, one can control oneself it is doubtful that
one can control outside events, or certainly not consistently. My
experience is that people do amazingly stupid things and riding, or
driving, in front of someone with the thought that, "Oh! He'll see me
and he won't hit me", is ludicrous. One of the most common statement I
read in cases of motor vehicle bicycle confrontations is, "I didn't
see him".
--
Cheers,

John B.