Old September 27th 06, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
DavidR

Default road bike / race bike / hybrid / touring / fitness bike - which one

"Pete Biggs" wrote
DavidR wrote:
"Pete Biggs" wrote

From 20 mph on the flat, with an average road bike + average
dual-pivot caliper + average modern lever + average hands, it is
possible to lift the rear wheel within a couple of seconds of
braking from the hoods.

Within ...a couple of seconds...? Then my point stands. To even
consider a setup as approaching "good" I suggest it should to be
possible to go *smoothly* from levers off to full stop within that
time.

My memory of how long a second is may be dodgy.

Even so, it is clear that response time is not imperceptible. That matters
much more than ultimate retardation.

Whatever it is, on the
flat, my stopping distance from the hood position is easily good enough
for mad and aggressive cycling,

.... in which take up is often factored in, until the unusual happens.

A mistake a lot of car drivers make when they claim the 35 year old
Highway Code is out of date.

I must admit, after having had a more careful look round, Shimano 105's
might address one issue: the shape allows the hands to rest above the bar
and the palms to rest snugly against the horn. Unfortunately they don't
solve the requirement to rotate onto the thumbs to brake..