Old March 20th 04, 05:03 PM
DRS

Default lacking in leg strength and stamina exercises?

Yuri Budilov wrote in message

[...]

I am wondering what I can do to improve my leg muscle (quads?)
strength and general cycling stamina without ruining my knees and
other parts of my body. Perhaps some easy to do at-home exercises? I
heard step-ups are good but I have no idea what they are exactly....

Studies have shown anaerobic training complements aerobic training such as
cycling.

Quads/glutes exercises you can do at home include (pick one):

DB Step-ups: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../DBStepUp.html
DB Squat: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...s/DBSquat.html
DB Single Leg Squat:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...eLegSquat.html
DB Lunge: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...s/DBLunge.html

For hamstrings: DB Straight Leg Deadlift:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...gDeadlift.html

For calves: DB Single Leg Calf Raise:
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...CalfRaise.html

To focus on explosive power do fewer reps with heavier weights (ie, 5 sets x
5 reps). To focus on endurance do more reps with lighter weights (ie, 3
sets x 15 reps). Do anaerobic exercises three times per week with at least
one day inbetween (ie, Mon-Wed-Fri). If you intend riding on the same day
do the anaerobic exercises first. Do not train to failure.

--

"I'm proud that I live in a country where witnessing two hours of bloody,
barbarous torture in gloating detail is considered indicia of religious