Old August 14th 18, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Flat repair

On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 5:50:56 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 8/13/2018 11:15 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 11:14:13 PM UTC-7, Andy wrote:
I had to repair a flat. Have some questions.

Is it best to apply patch to a completly flat tube?

I found a small copper wire in tire.

Is there something to minimize what can puncture tire?

Thanks

I am rather amazed at the reticence of bicyclists to use tubeless tires.. Every other vehicle from commercial trucks to Indy racers use tubeless tires as a matter of course and have for decades. I warrant that most of you have never seen a car tire that uses a tube.

Don't be amazed. There are valid reasons why tubeless has not caught on.

Expense-Tubeless rims and tires are much more expensive.

Reliability-When tubeless works, it’s great. But they fail much more
often than a good tube tire and good tube.

Performance-Tubeless tires are lower performance.

Hassle-You still have to carry a tube and a pump (or CO2) because if a
tire cannot be repaired in the field you’re S.O.L.

It’s very different than vehicle tires where weight of the tire is not
of paramount importance and the tires operate at relatively low pressure.

Sorry - you'll have to show ANY real information that tubeless tires fail even near the rates of tube tires.

Tubeless performance is WAY better than tube tires and I showed the tests showing a 1 1/2% decrease in rolling resistance. So WHY would you say that? How many Indy cars use tube tires?