Old June 8th 20, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Groupsets

On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 3:38:41 PM UTC-7, Mark J. wrote:
On 6/7/2020 11:42 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, 7 June 2020 14:25:13 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/7/2020 1:14 PM, Mark J. wrote:
On 6/7/2020 11:05 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/7/2020 9:50 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, 7 June 2020 10:43:20 UTC-4,
 wrote:
Op zondag 7 juni 2020 16:35:52 UTC+2 schreef Frank
Krygowski:
On 6/7/2020 10:17 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, 7 June 2020 06:35:42 UTC-4, Wolfgang
Strobl wrote:
Snipped
The owner of a bicycle shop, whom I consulted for
getting a replacement
shifter tried to convince me to use a an older
shifter, he called them
"Wäscheleinenschalthebel", clotheeslines shifter,
because these didn't
have this - to him - well known reliability
problem. For me, this
wasn't an option, because I very much rely on my
large handle bar bag.

My wife rides a Scott bicycle with the older 105 3x10
version of the
group, which actually has these clotheslines.

https://www.mystrobl.de/ws/pic/fahrrad/scott.png

She actually would like to have a decent handlebar
bag, too, but alas,
that's not possible her. On the positive side, those
shifters work
flawlessly, so far.
Snipped

I've seen people using those exposed "clothesline"
shifter cable housings to clip their route crib sheets
to. they put the sheets inside a clear plastic cover
and then use a couple of binder clips to clip them to
those cable housings.

Some other people apparently have use the noodles from
V-brakes to direct those cable housings away from
their handlebar bag.

https://thecrazyrandonneur.wordpress...-sti-shifters/

A good tip, I think. I've seen people cram a small
handlebar bag in
there by just letting those "clothesline" cables flex
out of the way.
The noodles look much more elegant.

--
- Frank Krygowski

If you still see the clotheslines models is prove of the
reliability of STI.

Lou

I find it to be quite interesting that Campagnolo had
their Ergo shifter cable routed under the handlebar
tape/wrap LONG before Shimano did.

Cheers

Ergos have an undocumented (probably unintended as well)
design feature;Â The gear wire wraps on its capstan in a
different plane from STi so although they do fail, they
fail less often and the cable stumps don't jam inside. As
Ergo riders have discovered, the first frays of a gear
wire stick through the rubber cover into the rider's palm,
just enough to notice, before the wire breaks altogether.

Agree entirely with the Ergo description. I have felt the
"Ergo prick in the palm" [restrain your dirty minds!] many
times over 20 years using Ergo, but I never knew it was a
design feature.

Mark J.

I suspect that was not intended, but you have to admit you'd
not think about gear wire replacement otherwise.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

The other thing I liked about my 2001 (-speed Mirage Ergos was that they could be rebuilt. In fact you could rebuild them as either 8-speed, 9-speed or 10-speed. IIRC the kit was $50.00

Cheers

Exactly. I've rebuilt Campy levers 4-5 times (20+ years and I shift a
LOT). I'm tolerating the Shimanos that came on my gravel bike a lot
more, though, than I did the ones on my Domane - those long since
swapped for Campy. Maybe I /can/ store two distinct shift motions in my
subconscious - subconscious for when the brain goes on holiday toward
the top of long killer climbs.

Campy's newer models, at least the mid-range, appear to be
non-rebuildable. It would be great if they simply don't /need/ it. I'm
not clear on the consensus around recent Shimano brifters. I read fewer
complaints about scrapped, malfunctioning and non-repairable Shimano
brifters these days than, say, ten years ago.

Mark "shifts two ways?" J.

I am told by my friend that Record 12 speed are not rebuildable. I think 10 and below are rebuildable, but Andrew can confirm.

-- Jay Beattie.