Old September 20th 06, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.off-road,rec.bicycles.misc
Smokey

Default Buying a new MTB

Auz wrote:
Thanks for all your input Guys.

I bought the Felt Q800 (very pleased!) yesterday, and will deal with
swapping the tyres over for the time being while I decide whether to
a)buy a second set of wheels or b)buy a road bike in a couple of months
(funds permitting).

I think it's going to be the road bike. Probably a tourer, so I can
carry change of clothes / lunch etc. to work. Looked at a Dawes while I
was standing around for nearly an hour in Evans (they forgot to build
my bike!!!) The Galaxy - twice the price of a suggested road bike. I'll
investigate further.

Thanks again

One other option you might look at is a cyclocross bike. That's what I have and use it for a road bike. It is very versatile, you can use the standard wheels with wider tires and haul touring loads (mine has rack mounts) or put on narrower wheels and tires and ride like a sports tourer. They're also not bad on milder trails or doubletrack. Mine gets ridden a lot on the rails-to-trails we have here in the USA.

Smokey