Old December 15th 05, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default general question about bicycle specs

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:07:45 -0800, wade
wrote:

Hello,
I am curious what others think about a good all-round bicycle for
touring. I have been out of cycling for about 6 years now. When I did a
tour in 1999 I just made some changes to my mountain bike as shown he
http://cyclingtrip.com/main_pages/bike/index.html

I still have that bicycle and find it to ride very well. I liked the
ability to take it and the BOB trailer over rough surfaces in remote
areas. I've even been off road bouncing around a bit. It handled very
well and I felt comfortable passing cars in tight corners going downhill
in the Canadian Rockies.

If I decide to get a replacement, I'm wondering what is currently
available and what I should be looking for?

This just my opinion, but...

You already have a proven touring unit which apparently works well for
you. While there are a multitude of choices available if you need to
replace it, I'd first look at that very issue. Do you really need to
replace it? I'm firmly in the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it."
camp; it seems to me that the primary consideraiton here should be
whether the current bike isn't providing something important which a
replacement might.

Toward that end, I think you might get better answers to your question
with a little more data; what shortcomings does the current bike have
in your opinion, and what features would you like to get in a
replacement? The basic things that a new bike can do will be the same
as for your old bike; it's in the minor details that you'll find the
differences.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.