Old June 7th 04, 03:31 PM
jhuskey

Default Kidney Stones & Riding

Originally posted by Howitzer Hi Al

I've been road cycling hard core for about 4 years now and I just had m
first experience with a kidney stone (not fun). The lab results cam
back as calcium oxalate. The Urologist is telling me I need to cut dow
on my calcium intake with things like green leafy veggies, chocolate (o
no!) and nuts. I'm not convinced this is the problem since my diet ha
not varied for many years and I do not consume lots of dairy product
and I have about two salads a week. My thought is that I am loosing to
much sodium and potassium while riding, and not replacing it fas
enough. This would cause an electrolite imbalance. I drink lots of wate
and sports drinks while riding and about 4 liters or H2O daily. Am I no
taking enough sodium? Anyone have thoughts on this or experienced th
same? Any doctors care to comment

Thank

I have only had one and hope I never have another.I don't think I coul
take much more pain and live. I had a lot of acid reflux at that tim
and took a lot of antacid tablets (High Calcium). The doctor didn'
think that was a contributing factor but I have my doubt of his opinion
If I have another one maybe someone will just shoot me rather than goin
thru 4 days of agony

-