Old April 9th 19, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default visibility of DRL

On 4/9/2019 7:12 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Yes, I turn on my front flasher and say "f*** that, I'm going for it!" Then I start racing down the middle of the road, going the wrong way -- "I'm king of the world!" And with my helmet, it's no holds barred!

Exactly. You're the prime example of risk-compensation.

But seriously, you experience risk-compensation without even being aware
of it. With a DRL, and with good lights in general, I know that vehicles
are much more aware of my presence and less likely to exit a parking lot
or a side street across my path. When I'm riding with only my dynamo
light I know that I'm much less conspicuous so I ride differently. You
often don't realize the risk compensation you engage in.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jan/24/bike-helmet-appetite-danger