Old April 12th 18, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

On 2018-04-10 21:08, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 11:26:54 AM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 9 Apr 2018 21:39:29 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Just before leaving for an important appointment Monday I discovered
my rear tire was flat. Didn't have a spare tube and needed to leave
within minutes. Pulled off the clincher tire and tube and put on a
spare tubular tire I had hanging around. Worked perfectly and
allowed me to make the appointment on time. Weird combination =
tubular tire on a clincher rim but it worked well enough to get me
to and from the appointment.
Cheers

Ummm... perhaps you should carry some duct tape.Â* There are some
articles and a few videos on how it's done.
https://www.google.com/search?q=duct+tape+bicycle+tire+patch
I've only used it once, on someone elses tire, because the rubber
cement had dried out in three out of three patch kits available.Â* It
apparently worked as there were no threatening messages on my
answering machine when I returned home.Â* The only real tricks that I
recall are to make sure the tube doesn't have any crud or baby powder
on the surface, and to NOT wrap the tape all the way around the tube
so that the tube can expand when pressurized.

I don't think it would have worked with narrow high pressure tires.
The one I patched was only pressurized to about 50(?) lbs.Â* I don't
think the duct tape patch would have held at 100 lbs.

On one long tour, our Continental Top Touring tires developed worrying
bubbles
in the sidewalls.

Is that a Conti problem? I had similar issue with Gatorskins. Two failed
prematurely when their sidewalls started to give up.

During the year of that tour (2003) I think it was a pretty common
problem with Continental tires. I don't know if it still is.

IIRC, I did later find that I'd been overinflating the tires.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* ... This was in remote North Dakota. I reinforced the system by
wrapping the tubes loosely with duct tape. I was trying to approximate
the
diameter of the inflated tubes. I can't say for sure it worked, but we
didn't
suffer any blowouts.

And then you fret about my hose clamp fix :-)

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Hoseclamp.JPG

It still works ...

If you told me you used a hose clamp to keep your headset adjusted for a
week when crossing remote North Dakota, I'd say it was fine.

When you brag about permanently using a hose clamp instead of proper
hardware, I call it a kludge.

--
- Frank Krygowski