Old January 4th 18, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default new chain, slack

On 1/3/2018 6:54 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/3/2018 4:38 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/3/2018 4:57 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/3/2018 3:08 PM, dave wrote:
On Wed, 03 Jan 2018 01:52:31 +0100, Emanuel Berg wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:

If you mean a tool to check the wear of a chain, yes
there are several
varieties.

No, I mean a tool to check how tightly the chain is
mounted on the bike,
which I suppose is a function of chain wear to some
degree but even more
so the distance between sprocket and chainring, i.e. how
far the rear
wheel is pulled back?

I use the Mk. 1 Finger.

And the method of quantification could be the possible
vertical movement
of the chain at its loosest?

Exactly! Finger the chain upwards. If there is too much
slack tighten. If
it's too taught loosen it.

So if there is anyone out there who can tell me how to
tighten the chain
on a bike with no adjustment I would be grateful.

34 front 23 rear on an Alfine 11. 1/2 link tighter would
be nice.

Why didn't you use a half link then?

I'm seeing marketing opportunities here. For Emanuel, a
special iFinger tool, bluetooth connected to one's phone,
using super GPS to tell how far the single speed chain is
rising when force is applied. No more by guess and by golly,
by golly!

And sure, half links sound useful, but why stop there? By
choosing between the half link, the one-third link, the
one-quarter link, etc. a non-derailleur cyclist could
finally get his chain tension perfectly right. Just the
thing to show off at the coffee shop!

And software! We have programmers here who could write the
iFinger app to help select just the right combination of
non-integer links.

We'll make millions of dollars! ... or, well, maybe tens of
dollars. Or maybe ones of dollars.

But half links are an actual thing, 100+ years old, cheap, available
anywhere.

I know, but I've never used one on a bike. Oddly enough, I have a
motorcycle-sized one in one of my little drawers of miscellaneous
mechanical junk. It's from my pre-BMW days.

--
- Frank Krygowski