Old January 8th 18, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Joerg Antidote

Joy Beeson writes:

On Sat, 06 Jan 2018 18:43:16 -0500, Radey Shouman
wrote:

It's a sentimental thing about the Crimean War, but it tends to fog up
your glasses.

That's a ski mask. A balaclava has one big hole for your eyes, nose,
and mouth.

I admit not to knowing the difference. The article in question has a
single hole for the eyes and nose, and sort of a mesh panel for the
mouth.

I knitted mine with a pouch for the chin, but found it more
comfortable to fold it inside and let my chin hang out. It rubbed on
my lower lip, and my breath condensed on it.

Most of the time, I wear wool scarves pinned under my left ear for
walking, and inside a triangular bandage-size scarf for cycling.
Wrapping the tails of the scarf around my neck keeps the scarf from
flapping around and obscuring my rear-view mirror. It's possible to
arrange a scarf to cover the same area as a balaclava. When walking,
I don't bother, since my hat can be pulled down over my forehead.

I will wear a scarf when walking around, but don't ask me to pin it up.
And I certainly don't want anything flapping around.