Old September 23rd 18, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Peugeot PX-10 max cog size?

On 2018-09-22 13:42, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

... Again, he could make some good money selling the
bike in
the collector's market and then go out and buy a nice
gravel bike
with lots of gears, lighter and stiffer where it matters
with even
more tire clearance for the gnarly gravel riding that you
have to do
in the wilds of Cameron Park. There are some really good
deals out
there on aluminum frame gravel bikes with hydraulic
discs. I think
updating a mid-fi French bike is a waste of money. If he
can get by
with throwing on a freewheel, then I would stop there --
otherwise,
go shopping.

That's also what I'd do. Especially since he is a mountain
biker by heart so doesn't want to spend much time fixing a
road bike.

As for gravel bikes, most of our trails are really not
suited for that. Lots of loose rocks and stuff, it won't be
fun and likely break the new bike. Even if the gravel bike
survives it could result in serious back pain for older riders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5cjAW_nrl4

Five speed FW 13~32 is a standard current product:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/irdclass.jpg

AFAIK there hasn't been any year without such freewheels all my adult life.

New 5-speed ones are becoming expensive. Same when I looked for 6-speed
UG cassettes for my bike. However, it is quite easy to hack cassettes
apart and build one up with cogs "pilfered" from a new higher speed
cassette. Probably more tricky with freewheels.

Initially I used ...18T...28T...32T as "dual" bail-out gears in 6-speed
until my last UG freehub gave out. Had to switch to HG and then I could
squeeze in all seven cogs after re-dishing the wheel. Shifting was
surprisingly easy even with the large step and having mixed UG/HG cogs.
It just resulted in quizzed looks from other riders.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/