Old December 16th 16, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joerg[_2_]

Default Age and Heart Rates

On 2016-12-13 18:43, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 07:54:13 -0800, Joerg

[...]

I see that sometimes where guys blast by me at high speed and
then on the next long hill I pass them.

I also see that sometimes guys blast by me at high speed and then
go on out of sight :-)

Oh yeah :-)

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

You don't get ANY training at all unless you have a really easy
warm-up period of about 10 minutes. You can only go anaerobic for
maybe 30 seconds for a non-athlete to perhaps a minute for a trained
athlete. the "80%" mark is what changes with training.

I never do specific warm-ups but on cold days I brace myself not to put
down the hammer right out of the garage. Training effects have been
great. There are many hills that I can easily climb today where I had to
hop off the bike and walk three years ago.

If you don't warm-up at perhaps 50-60% for the first ten minutes you
are mostly riding anaerobically and eating up your lactate reserves.

Does that mean every commuter eats up lactate? I can't imagine that.
They never warm up, they hop on and go. I did that for decades until my
commute distance shrunk to 100ft. In those days I was among the faster
longhaul road bike riders.

Now if after you warm up you ride well below your threshold you can
restore these reserves but it is VERY slow. One of the reasons I
stopped riding with my local group because their idea of a warm-up
was riding across the parking lot and out onto the street.

Within a couple of minutes they would be going flat out up a 7%
grade. And the guys that got to the top first would be figiting to
leave before the last arrived.

I try not to do that though sometimes I try a hill, see if I can get up
there in 2nd gear. Or maybe even 3rd. But I never race people uphill.