Old March 15th 05, 04:48 AM
Tim McNamara

"Dane Bramage" writes:

Hey there - this is probably a bit off topic, but wanted some advice
about bikes that are built for long rides and any recommendations.
Since this group is experienced with longer rides, I figure you all
would have a good viewpoint.

IMHO the secret to a good long-distance bike is a comfortable position
that you can be in for hours.

I currently ride a Cannondale T2000 touring bike. I like it a lot,
but it's heavy and built to carry a load. Looking for something I
can upgrade to that's lighter and built more for speed.

Not looking for a racing bike - rather something to take out for on
day rides of 100+ miles at a quicker pace, and preferably a more
comfortable ride than I'm used to.

Unfortunately racing bike = crit bike, at least here in the US.
"Aggressive" handling and "tight" frame angles and "stiff" tubes etc.
Yet in the Olde Days, riders often did 300 km races on their racing
bikes! Indeed, what are now considered "touring" bikes are prety
similar to what the greats like Fausto Coppi and Gino Bartali raced on
in the Tours and the Giros and the Classics.

Now, I've done 100+ mile rides on my racing bike (a Ritchey), on my
"touring" bike (a Rivendell) and my 'cross bike (a Gunnar). But then
I've also done a hilly 70 mile ride on my singlespeed track bike, so I
may not be a good judge... I was happy with all those options.

For riding 200km or longer rides, I'd pick one of the first three
bikes I mentioned. My position is close to being identical on each.
I think that longer chainstays are helpful, in particular, as they
reduce the bumps the rider's butt receives (not through shock
absorption, as some people mistakenly believe, but through the
geometry of putting the rear wheel farther behind the rider).

I think that great starting points for suitable bikes are he

http://www.rivendellbicycles.com

http://www.heronbicycles.com

http://www.kogswell.com

and of course there are other sources which I am just not remembering
off the top of my head. And there's a whole 'nother family of bikes
for randonneurs, which are designed exactly for rides from 200 km to
1200 km. There are now less than a handful of builders dedicated to
these bikes- Alex Singer (E. Csuka), Gilles Berthoud, Peter Weigle,
Peter Jon White and a few smaller builders in France.

http://www.mindspring.com/~heine/bikesite/bikesite/

http://www.seattlerandonneur.org/

http://www.wallbike.com/

http://www.wallbike.com/berthoud.html

Http://Perso.wanadoo.fr/dpacoud/webrando/index.html