AMuzi
external usenet poster

Default Steel is Real and Carbon is Lighter

On 6/18/2019 8:26 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 5:37:49 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 6:42:42 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
Sipped
What is the deal with handlebar bags these days... Snipped

And what goes in a handlebar bag for the usual out and back ride on a sunny day? Slide rule? Shower slippers? I'm going to stop one of those bearded guys and ask him to show me what's in his handlebar bag. It's probably and after-ride kilt or a knit cap. Enquiring minds want to know!

-- Jay Beattie.

Hey, I like my handlebar bag. I have it mounted on a cutdown handlebar fitted to a threadless stem that is then mounted to my seatpost.

I can vcarry my repair kit, spare tubes, snacks, spare bottles of water or Powerade and my rain jacket in that bag.

I don't have anyone who can come and get me I need a ride thus I like to be totally self reliant on the road or trails.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...57662865565180

Cheers

But that's functionally an over-grown seat pack. The guys I see often have retro handlebar bags, like the cotton-duck darlings sold by Jan Heine. And the handlebar bags are often on very high-end racing-ish bikes. I'm also amazed because the handlebar bag-thing occurred over night. I felt like I missed the memo.

I ride short trails and know nothing about epic Joergian trail riding with panniers filled with water and a heart lung machine. On the road, I've never used a handlebar bag except on tour, and then I usually used a front rack and low-riders. Not that handlebar bags are bad, but low-riders are better, IMO. Anyway, for normal weekend riding, I just stuff things in my jersey pockets and carry a modest seatpack and clown pump.

I've gotten a ride home from my wife once -- and that's when I broke a chain commuting. I've scootered home/pedaled one-legged almost 15 miles when I broke a crank -- and lesser miles when I broke the other five or six cranks, two pedals, handlebars, seat post, a chain (on tour -- fixed by shortening) etc., etc. I almost broke a Cannondale frame in half and rode it home -- and a steel frame that broke at the seattube/BB. Now that I think about it, it takes a lot to entirely kill a bike. Even a taco'd wheel can be beaten round enough to get home usually.

Full disclosu I also called my wife when I cartwheeled over my son and broke my hand and banged myself up, but I still rode five miles to the pick-up spot. I've got a dandy plate in my hand now. Shifting SRAM Red with a fractured right hand is no fun. That's why everyone should have Di2.

-- Jay Beattie.

Ouch that's horrible - double tap shifter with a hand
fracture. I did mine on[1] my fixie, tucked it inside my
coat[2] and rode on with only minimal discomfort.

[1] actually when it broke when I was just off the bike.
[2] as The Little Corporal if he had a fixie instead of a
horse.
https://a.1stdibscdn.com/archivesE/u..._1_of_5__z.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home