Old September 29th 11, 06:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Fraser Johnston[_3_]

Default E Bikes

On 22/09/11 1:45 PM, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

First off, decide if you want to be legal ornot....

If you do then check your state laws. In NSW you arelimited to 200
watts.

When comparing bikes, take note of battery type and weight and
efficiency. You want the thing to be usable without a motor!

Bigest hassle with buying cheap off ebay is like buying anythign
cheap: how much work do you ahve to do to get the thing in reasonable
condition? You might be willing to go oevr it and get the bicycle
bits properly fettled and working well, you might not.

As far as I know the conversion is "replace the wheel with the
hub motor one, locate the battery somewhere, run the cables."

I'm thinking illegal. It's not like they are going to dyno it and I
will be riding it a fair way so having a fairly high average speed is
important. From what I see the conversion kits cost as much, if not
more, than a whole bike which means that I can get a whole bike and pull
the bits off and stick them on my current mountain bike and still be ahead.

Fraser