Old August 31st 11, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
TibetanMonkey, the Beach Cruiser Philosopher

Default The German solution to our chaotic roads

It seems like the old folks are having a lot of fun in Germany...

"I sometimes think the largest population on the bike paths is the over 60 crowd."

http://bicyclegermany.com/what_to_expect.html

Who says fun stops at 60?

But they got some 70,000km (43,000miles) of bike lanes in such a small country.

Compare that with the situation in the Wild West...

Bicycle Friendly: And just how friendly is bike riding in Germany? In parts of the US, red necks driving pick-up trucks try to force bikers off the road. (I hate them for their arrogance and ignorance.) In Germany by contrast, nearly every vehicle will cross the centerline to give bikers a wide berth. I cannot count the times cars and trucks have slowed to my speed for a block or more when passing me would have crowded me to the side of a street or road. This is because the streets are narrow and drivers are used to sharing the road with bikers, parked cars, pedestrians, or people on in-line skates. Yes, you will have to ride on some streets in Germany but it is much safer than riding on streets in the States.