Old September 16th 04, 05:20 PM
Werehatrack

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 15:05:32 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

James Annan typed

"A light hand force of 5 lbs was

Umm... I used to have a grip of 100lb[1]. Of what would 5lb be representative?

[1] measured by hand surgeon doing research.

The grip force required to lock up the wheel is far less than that
with any useful braking system, of course.

Still, it appears to me that they designed a passable test rather than
an exhaustive one. If so, they may have shot themselves in the foot;
should a later determination show that their test was flawed *and that
they had reason to know this*, the investigators will not be pleased.

I agree with another poster's statement; a variety of application
pressures, a range of bump sizes with simulation of jumping (some of
which is "landed" with the brakes engaged), and a higher stress and
load level in general seems to be merited.

In their partial defense, I will note that they seemed to be focusing
solely on the issue of whether common, normal vibration levels in
low-stress riding could result in QR loosening. I'm pretty sure
that's the wrong question, and in any event, they tested only one QR
design. Combined with the lack of test conditions that simulate the
popularly-expected potential failure mode scenarios, I feel that it is
best to regard this test as not dispositive of disc brake safety in
and of itself.

All that said, I'm still going to keep riding the bike that has a
front disc. I'm not convinced that there's a significant wheel
ejection hazard in the type of riding that I do.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.