Old September 16th 04, 05:28 PM
Dave

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote in message ...
"Paul - xxx" typed

How was the 5 lbs measured ?

As an ex Torque Control Engineer (Desoutter / Georges Renault) I feel the
tests would be more relevant using a range of braking forces from light to
as much as possible, commensurate with the force a human hand can exert ...

This is, I believe' in the 100-200lb range and consistent with panic braking.

IMHO all bike equipment has to cope well with maxima.

Seems the real world question is how much lever force is required to
lock up the rotor. Beyond that all you are testing is the lever
strength. Given that disc systems are designed for single digit
applications, and most levers accept no more than two fingers, using
full hand grip strength is not valid. I found some data on grip &
pinch strengths at http://www.bleng.com/pdf/grip1.pdf for anyone
interested. Dave D.