Old September 16th 04, 07:05 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Just zis Guy, you know?
') wrote:

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Umm... I used to have a grip of 100lb[1]. Of what would 5lb be
representative?

A rider on a disk-brake equipped Cannondale being very, very careful
not to make the QR come undone ;-)

There's two major objections to that account. Firstly, most disk brake
equipped Cannondales do not have quick releases on the front. F
series[1] and Chase hardtails, Scalpel, Jeckyll[1] and Prophet full
suspension bikes all have Lefty 'forks' which don't have a removable
front axle. Gemini[2] models have through axles front and rear. The
only models I could find in Cannondale's 2005 'mountain' line up with
both disk brakes and a front quick-release are the F600 and the
remaining Jekyll.

Secondly, as I've pointed out elsewhere on the thread the hand pressure
required to lock the wheel with hydraulic disks is not very high and
while I wouldn't like to say categorically that five pounds is the
maximum safe braking pressure it's in the right ball park.

[1] Some older models have Fatty forks which do have quick release; some
low end models have non-Cannondale forks which do have quick release.
Few of these also have disk brakes.

[2] 2005 models certainly; it's possible that some older models have
quick release.

;; Usenet: like distance learning without the learning.